February 26, 2015 1 Comment
La Pavoni Spa was founded in Milan in 1905 thanks to Desiderio Pavoni in a little workshop at Via Parini. His first invention was patented by Luigi Bezzera, on 1st September 1902, duly registered at the Milan State office on 19th September 1903, and gave life to the first espresso coffee machine for bar called “Ideale”.
In 1948 La Pavoni manufactured its first machine with horizontal boiler.
This project was conceived by Gio Ponti, Antonio Fornaroli and Alberto Rosselli, whose cooperation gave birth to model 47 called “LA CORNUTA” (“The horn”) because of its brewing groups standing out from the cylindrical boiler body.
1956 saw the creation of the “Concorso” series. This was a project developed by Bruno Munari and Enzo Mari, where the body has a particular design; the modular geometrical parts, put together, enable the building of machines with more than one group, in which the stress is put on the colour matching.
In 1961 the so-called “Brewing” commercial machine was introduced onto the market. The temperature always remains the same, water heats up and – through the brewing groups – is directed onto the pressed coffee, obtaining one or two cups of tasty and creamy coffee.
The cooperation between Alberto Rosselli and Angelo Tito Anselmi gave life in 1961 to a model called “BRASILIA”.
In the same year, 1961, developing an idea by a Milanese artisan, the first electrical machine for domestic use was created. This machine could it to brew espresso coffee and hot drinks, just like the way they were made in the coffee bar. That machine was called “Europiccola”.